Saturday, September 02, 2006

Kind of a big day for me.

Pretty hard to put into words what today has meant to me. But here goes.

First, I got a page picked up for the "Style" book by Memory Makers books, by Kitty and Wendy. Having a page picked up is still exciting to me. Any page. But this one is special. It is about my sister Beth, and the story of how we almost lost her. It means so very much to me, and the fact that it got picked up for pub . . . well that's beyond cool. (And if you're reading this Beth, your beautiful face will be appearing in a magazine!!!!!) It just doesn't get any better than that . . .

or does it?

Went cropping tonight with Jami. It's been ages since I have completed a page. Too long. So off we went to the LSS. I got a few things done, but knew from looking at the pub when I left that the KI calls were starting in the evening. And while I had counted myself out, I had hope.

I blogged before about how much this contest means to me, in terms of loving all things KI. Always have. And meeting them at CHA Atlanta two years ago just sealed the deal. You see I was already a fan. Then I went to CHA. Think small fish in big pond. That was me. Frankly, some vendors had absolutely no time for us "mere designers." And I totally get that. This is a business. And that depends on sales. And I didn't have buying power. But the people at KI were so amazing. First, a sweet girl who was working the booth recognized a "KI Freak" like myself, and she offered me a KI button. I know this makes me a total geek, but I was so excited! She then said I needed a picture with Kim, and called her over. Kim was as sweet as could be. And who was I? Small fish, baby. Nobody. But she took the time to pose for a picture and talk to me and my friends Maddy and Mikki. I can't tell you what that meant. If I was a fan before, multiply by 100. That's me.

Along comes the album contest. Should I enter? Do I have a chance? Am I good enough? Self-doubt, self-preservation, all fought against me. I mean, how could I NOT enter a contest for my dream DT? What kind of loser does that? Well. Almost me. But I persevered, and did an album that I love. And sent it off. And dared to hope that I could possibly make an "honorable mention" list. It was a huge step for me. I don't create just for calls or contests.

So tonight while cropping with my SIL Jami, with no internet access, we called her daughter to keep me posted on who was being called. I figured I could be happy for the winners. Maybe I would know someone who won, and how cool would that be? Imagine my surprise when my cell phone rings. And no, I didn't list my cell phone on the entry. And the call was "restricted." It was Kim and Ira. The K and I of KI Memories. I swear, I almost passed out. I'm sure I saw stars. I think I said, "Is this some sort of cruel joke?" Nice, Kay. Swift. And they were so kind. The weird thing is, when I got the call, I walked out of the crop room, right over to the KI section of the store to talk. How funny is THAT? It turns out they had called home, and woke up Bill. Lord only knows what he told them. We talked for a while, and I could tell that both Kim and Ira were genuinely happy to be making these calls, and that they were happy for all of the finalists.

When I got off the phone after blathering like a ninny, I went back into the crop room to Jami. I am SO THANKFUL that Jami was with me. She had tears in her eyes, she was so happy for me. She gets it. She knows how important this was for me. People outside the scrapping world don't get it. And that's OK. I didn't either. But she did. Love you, girl!

So I did it. I am a finalist. I surpassed my goal of "HM" And I wish I could put into words how much that means to me. This company whose designs I love, and whose owners/designers I respect and admire, like my work. Does it get any better than this? I think not. What a big day.

Check it out!

4 comments:

corinne5 said...

Thank you so much for sharing a story and I am very happy for you that you are a finalist, will keep my fingers crossed that you are the winner too!

corinnexxx

Lana said...

SO excited for you Kay because you really ARE a KI girlie girl!! LOL :) It just looks So darn good on your little Jen!

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you! Congratulations!

Nikki said...

A Big CONGRATS to you!!!

~~Nik